2.5

this is the actual transcript from my conversation with Vizio. I have a 3d bluray player that wont play newer 3d disks. Vizio offers no support and no updates, and my player is only 2 years old. my Samsung player is 3 years old and still gets regular updates and works with everything, Vizio just told me I was SOL.

Me: I have a vizio VBR133 3d bluray player. It will not play the brand new 3d bluray dawn of the planet of the apes. it has pkg_dvd_3_3_36_vbr_40_44 with a date of mar 6, 2012. is this the latest firmware? I have tried to have the unit plugged into the network and it does not auto update, and there is no online file location for the latest firmware.

Just a moment...

Sorry for the delay. We're working on getting to you as quickly as possible. If you need to run, please feel free toleave us a message

Me: I will wait

Jackson: We are currently very busy, I apologize for the inconvenience. We will be with you shortly.

Unfortunately our blu-ray players are no longer receiving updates. The software has updated within the newer blu-ray discs since your blu-ray player was manufactured to combat blu-ray piracy. Older blu-rays will still play, but unfortunately it will not be able to play the latest blu-rays.

Me: wow

that is a terrible answer

I paid money for this unit

and you are telling me that too bad?

Jackson: This is part of the lifecycle of electronics unfortunately. Newer software comes out and the older hardware is not able to work with the newer software.

Me: I work in a data center, life cycle electronics mean nothing, a 2 year life cycle is not industry standard,

Jackson: I'm sorry that we were unable to provide you with an update for your blu-ray player. Do you have any other questions for me at this time?

Me: what is the most recent firmware since my 2 year old device was end of life?

can I get the latest firmware that was issued for my device?

Jackson: PKG_DVD_3_3_36_VBR_40_44 was the latest version for this blu-ray player.

Me: wow. that is amazing, so I just want to make sure I get this correct for my Better Business Bureau complaint, you are saying that there was never a single update for my player, and that at only 2 years it is now end of life cycle and you will no longer support it, even with a 1 year old firmware from sometime in 2013?

Jackson: This firmware was updated 5/14/12 according to our database and this was the last update provided for the model VBR133.

Me: ok that answers my question. do you have a unige identifier so I can refer back to you directly?

unique

Jackson: Your case number is 5333653.

Me: good enough for what I need

Jackson: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Me: thank you for your lack of help

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Comments

We experienced same issue. Definitely will not buy another Vizio if this is still the case.

A firmware update should be issued to fix this or give consumer another product - trade-in. We were given an older Sony Bluray 3D player and it plays the newer disks that This Cizio olayer will not.